San Jose Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Experienced Attorney Protecting Your Civil Rights in California
At Janoff Law, we also handle two other sensitive areas for people who need specific legal help. These areas are sexual harassment in the workplace and civil rights violations at the hands of police.
Santa Clara County Sexual Harassment Attorney
Sexual harassment is defined by law as any "unwelcome verbal, visual or physical conduct of a sexual nature that is severe or pervasive and affects working conditions or creates a hostile work environment."
If the conduct in question is welcomed, it cannot be construed as harassment. Consequently, it is important that you make clear that the conduct makes you uncomfortable and that you want it to stop.
In employment law, these are the most common expressions of sexual harassment leading to a hostile workplace environment:
- Making an employee the butt of sexually charged remarks;
- Touching or teasing an employee;
- Propositioning an employee, even as a joke;
- Posting a pornographic picture where people cannot avoid it;
- Quid pro quo harassment — "Do this if you expect to be promoted"; and
- Tolerating offensive behavior by employees.
Successful Claims Against California Employer Retaliation
In addition to harassment, it is illegal for companies to retaliate against employees who complain about harassment or who report it to government agencies.
Victims of harassment can be compensated in many ways. If you were wrongfully discharged for retaliation, you may be entitled to back pay, front pay, hiring, promotion or reinstatement. You may also be entitled to payment of attorneys' fees or court costs.
Also Representing Victims Of Civil Rights Violations
Janoff Law represents individuals who have been victimized by:
- Excessive force during arrest;
- Police brutality;
- False arrest;
- Racial profiling;
- Illegal detention or imprisonment;
- Searches conducted without a warrant; and
- Failure to meet the medical needs of a suspect.
If you have experienced any of these violations, we want to hear your story. Compensation for the wrong done to you may be an option. Call San Jose civil rights attorney Jeffrey D. Janoff today at 408-286-2300 or write to our firm using our online contact form.