What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Twenty-eight thousand car accidents happen every day. Unfortunately car accidents are a fact of life on our busy roads and highways. What can we do to protect ourselves?
Defensive driving is the best weapon. Always look out for the other guy. Make your lane changes only after checking for traffic. Don't speed and obey all traffic controls.
Some collisions are unavoidable. Be sure to always wear a seat belt and keep your brakes in good working order.
If you are the victim of a motor vehicle collision make sure to follow these important steps:
- Get the name, address, telephone number, license plate number and insurance information from the person who hit you.
- Take photos of the involved cars and property damage.
- Call the police to document the incident.
- Take a self- assessment inventory of your person- to determine if you are injured.
- Report the accident to your own insurance company.
If you have been injured as a result of the other driver's mistake you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, time off of work, and pain and suffering. How much you are entitled to may require the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer.