San Jose Wrongful Death Lawyer
Seeking Compensation for Death by Negligence in California
Some injuries are worse than catastrophic—they are fatal. When a personal injury accident ends a life, it deprives others of a breadwinner, a caregiver, or a beloved son or daughter. Compensation in such cases is a matter of great financial and emotional urgency.
Not everyone can file a wrongful death lawsuit in California. Only people with a specific relationship to the victim may file this kind of claim. These relationships are, in order:
- The surviving spouse, children, dependent stepchildren, dependent minors living in the victim's household for at least six months and dependent parents
- Parents, then siblings or children of deceased siblings, then grandparents, then children of a deceased spouse
- If none of these relatives exist, the next of kin is eligible to file a suit for wrongful death
If you have questions about whether your situation qualifies for a wrongful death lawsuit, please do not hesitate to contact Janoff Law in San Jose, California today.
Santa Clara County Fatal Accident Attorney
The law surrounding wrongful death is complex, and you can undermine a case by hiring a lawyer unfamiliar with California statutes and cases. Jeffrey D. Janoff of Janoff Law is experienced in the intricacies of wrongful death law and has been part of numerous substantial wrongful death settlements and awards. We will assist you in:
- Deciding whether to create an estate. This may be necessary when more than one claimant is involved.
- Establishing the decedent's life expectancy. This calculation requires a careful assessment of the loved one's age, health, activities, lifestyle and work.
- Conducting an economic analysis of how much financial support was lost when the decedent died.
- Creating a monetary value for the intangible contributions the loved one made that are now gone.
- Persuading a jury, sometimes relying on expert testimony, of the rightfulness of the claim and the amount of damages sought.
Experienced Wrongful Death Lawyer Serving the South Bay Area
If you have lost a loved one in an accident, it is important to act quickly to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. Jeffrey D. Janoff will preserve the evidence and build your case.
Have you lost a loved one because someone else was careless? Call an experienced San Jose wrongful death attorney at Janoff Law at 408-286-2300 or write to us using our online contact form.